Monday, December 17, 2007

Interlude

You know, Jersey Boys was originally a story about some Jewish kids. You don't believe me? It could happen. It did happen. Where else would we get songs like...

-Walk Like A Mensch
-Big Girls Don't Kvetch
-My Mother's Guilt,...and my favorite,
-Oy! What A Night

You still don't believe me? Let's listen in on Mary and Frankie's first date, at the deli...

Frankie: Vally. V-a-l-l-y.
Mary: No, "i." You gotta end it in a vowel. "Y" is a meshuggeneh letter.
F: Why do I have to end it in a vowel?
M: Look, kid, you're Jewish. DelgaDO. CastelluciO. MatzAH.
"I" says, "This is who I am. You don't like it, geh kocken affen yam."

[Hey, maybe I'm onto something! Marshall, Marshall, Marshall!! Get Mel Brooks on the phone!!]

Did you know the "r" in Jersey Boys was originally a "w?"


You may leave a comment here:

No comments: